OUR PARISH: ST. ANTHONY’S CATHOLIC CHURCH, Gbaja, Surulere, was opened and dedicated by Archbishop Leo Hale Taylor on June 25, 1961. The early parishioners were mainly Catholics from various parts of Lagos Island, from Parishes such as Holy Cross Cathedral, St. Patrick’s (Idumagbo), St. Michael’s (Lafiaji), St. Joseph’s (Elegbata), etc. They were people who had been displaced by development works in Lagos Island and who had just moved into Surulere to take advantage of the new houses in the newly developing Surulere. Surulere as a whole, before the building of the church, was only an expanse of sandy land until the Lagos Executive Development Board (LEDB) decided to develop the area… Read More>>>
THE SAINT, ANTHONY
ST. ANTHONY was born in Portugal in 1195; on 15th August according to Baroque tradition. He was the son of the nobleman, Martino de Buglioni and Donna Maria Taveira, who lived a few metres away from the cathedral. He was christened with the name Fernando.
He spent his formative years under the cultured guidance of the canons of the cathedral. Many of his school companions were boys who were considering the priesthood as a career. It is likely that young Fernando’s commitment to join the priesthood was born among his close friends. In fact, the moral mediocrity and corruption of the society around him convinced Anthony to choose this path. He entered the Augustinian monastery of St. Vincent, outside the walls of Lisbon, where he lived uncompromisingly according to his evangelical ideal.
Among the Augustinians: He stayed at St. Vincent for approximately two years. But, distracted by continuous visits from friends, he asked to be transferred elsewhere. He thus undertook his first great journey to Coimbra, then the capital of Portugal. …Read More>>>
Msgr. Bernard A. Okodua
Rev. Fr. Victor Okhiria
Ass. Parish Priest